Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Trans - Still freezing!!!

OMG!!! Its still freezing!! We are at Tondra Gorge...which is even higher in the mountains and its SO cold! We came to a hotel that will let everyone sleep inside in the like restaurant...but even that has open ceiling bits and stuff...so a bunch of us have upgraded to hotel rooms...but its still freezing!!! I'm huddled under my blanket now shivering!! We have a small heater in our room...but its not doing much - plus there is only electricity from 5:30 until mid-night...ahhhh!!! But its better that sleeping in a room with 15 other people and open ceilings and no heater! Hopefully it will get warmer. We have to go outside to eat dinner though! I'm gonna wear my robe!! It will be warmer. We were gonna go out for dinner but Jo and I made the mistake of making friends with the guy at the restaurant. Long story short ... we don't want to go back there!!
So...its the next day from the last post (Friday I think it is) I'm still freezing! I'm actually sitting in my hotel room with my hat on under my blankets surrounded by used tissue because I am now sick because I've been cold for so damn long!! We went for a lovely walk this morning though! We went through Todra Gorge! Some really nice views and I actually got warm for a little while! There was lots of sunshine at the top!! It was a nice relaxed walk. Some people wanted to go a lot faster and got annoyed, but I don't know why since we had nothing else to do today and its a super small town!! So anyways - it really was a lovely walk and we spent lots of time sitting in the sunshine...then we came back to the hotel at bottom of the gorge where the sun only shines less than 2 hours a day!!! Which would be ok if this was August...but its December and its freezing!!! So yea...Jo and I have just been hiding in the hotel room! We don't even get hot water in our shower!! I had a cold shower this morning (again)!!! Ahhhh!!

Ok-dinner is over! We had "Spanish Tortilla" cooked over an open fire...but they forgot the potatoes and there was no bread. Basically it was scrambled eggs with some pepper and onion. And then there was coleslaw to go with it. It was a very strange combination and not anything good for a cold night! But I guess it was food so as long as I don't get sick from it - whatever.

But now...I am finally warm!!! Its a miracle! Everyone in the group kinda hates us right now because we aren't sitting in the hotel parking lot around a smokey campfire in the freezing cold with them...but whatever. After dinner we went to the restaurant to have a cup of tea and one of the ladies in the group came down and said she had a hot shower!!! I instantly became anti-social!! So Jo and I got our gear and came to turn our shower on. The trick is apparently to let it run for 10 minutes before getting in. So I just had my first hot shower in days!!! And our room is a reasonable temperature. Things are looking up! I found my cough drops (have I mentioned I have a cold now with a sore throat and runny nose?!?) And I'm tucked up warm in bed and clean!!! Yay!!! It won't last long because we are bush camping tomorrow night on the way to Marrakesh so we'll be cold and dirty - and its my groups turn to cook again ... But whatever! Right now I'm warm and happy...I guess you have to be freezing for 2 weeks to really appreciate a semi-hot shower... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment