Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Trans - another day in Marrakesh





Its amazing how some warmth and a cheap hotel room can make a person so much happier!! Oh and being clean! The shower in our cheap hotel room is amazing! I just got out from a super long super hot shower \
bath combo!! I feel clean and happy and ready to face another day in Morocco!! Which saying that - now that I'm warm and not in a tent - I've stopped hating Morocco :)

Yesterday Eti and I went to a local hammam and had a scrub. It wasn't as good as the last one. This was much smaller and it wasn't as warm and steamy and there was only one lady to scrub us so we had to wait
turns. But I still ended up much cleaner than I otherwise would have :)

Hmmmm...what else? Poor Jo was super sick yesterday so she spent most of the day in bed. After the hammam I took a nice walk by myself to the palace. It was nice to be alone for a while! Its really hard
travelling in a group all the time. I stopped at a lovely restaurant on the way and had an amazing club sandwich (picture included). I'm getting a bit tired of couscous and tangine - so a bit of standard
western fare was really great! I must admit we all went out for pizza for dinner last night because apparently I'm not the only one that's bored of Moroccan food :P

After the palace I wandered back to see if Jo felt better and wanted to wander with me - but we arrived back at the hotel at the same time as she was running in to throw up!! She tried to walk with me after
but she lleft me as soon as we met one of the girls from the truck! Ahhhh...she left me alone with her! Judith is SO awkward!! So I was trying to find this spa so she came with me. She like all arms and legs waving and flapping and she never stops talking and talks about nothing. So eventually we found this cafe in a beautiful restored riad and I suggested we have a tea. Ugh...bad plan! The place was gorgeous and set for a slightly hgher class clientele than dirty trans-africa passengers like us. And it was super echoey inside and she talks so loud!!!! I felt bad for everyone else in the place because she kept talking and talking about nothing and waving her arms and they were trying to have nice meals or tea. Anyways - after an hour I finally had to ask if we could leave. I gave up on my tour then and went for a nap at the hotel so I could not be with her anymore! Then at the hotel Geoff busted out his bottles of cheap wine and we had a lovely
chat before our pizzeria dinner!!

(Just a side note - that was a really mean thing to say about Judith...I won't remove it because its true...but now a few days later I have realized that everyone is mean to her...so I feel bad now!!  Its not her fault - she is very nice - just a bit odd...)

Now today was an even better day I think!! I started the day with a long shower (like I mentioned above). Then as I was writing this Eti came and said they were off to breakfast - so I joined her and Geoff down there with Jo following shortly. They hotel provides a couple eggs and some lovely bread and jam. So we chatted and chatted over breakfast (mostly bitching about the tour and people on the truck) then Jo and I went straight to the spa around the corner. What a lovely place!! We spent about 2 hours there getting massages!!! Amazing!! I could have stayed all day! But no...we left and then caught a taxi to the "new town" where we saw the Jardin Mayorelle or something. This was one of Lonely Planets Top Picks as it was designed by this Mayorelle guy and then purchased by Yves St. Laurant...I expected something really big and grand...but we paid our 60 dirham and had a wander around. It took all of like 30 minutes...nothing
exciting at all...maybe I missed something?!? Then we tried to walk to the main square...got lost and hailed a taxi that was nice enough to drop us in front of McDonalds. Jo was dying for some trashy non-moroccan food so after deciding the restaurant in the area were too expensive we went to McD's and I had a lovely Cheese Royal and some frites :) poor Jo's still a bit sick so we came back to the hotel and have been napping for about the last 2 hours! Now its 5:30 and almost time to eat again!!! Yay!!!

I only have 2 pictures on my BB today. One is my lovely sandwich and the other is in the palace. Sorry - haven't been taking a lot of piccies in Marrakesh....getting a bit lazy :P

No comments:

Post a Comment