Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Trans - Something besides desert

Well, we've been on the road since 7:30 today. We are getting out of the desert. It kind of reminds me of leaving the meseta during my camino in Spain. I didn't realize how tired of the meseta I was until I got into the green hills of Galicia - now I am realizing I was tired of the dust of the desert now that I am seeing the rivers and green grass. Its very pretty! We are driving through a national park in southern Mauritania near the border with Senegal. This is our last bit of time in Mauritania and all together for a while.

The group is completely falling apart. I am beginning to wonder if we are on a TV show! Maybe all of this is being filmed as a reality TV show - a social experiment to see what happens when a very few normal people (of which I consider myself one) are put together with a bunch of crazies to see who snaps first!! I've seen more tears this morning from people I didn't expect to see cry - than I've seen in a long time! People are falling apart right and left. And there's no way to pinpoint exactly what the problem is. There's no one person that really sucks (well, besides the tour leader) and not just one person that is any worse off than the rest. I think the tour leader set a bad tone at the beginning of not being terribly nice to people or having a positive attitude and its set off a landslide of negativity! The negativity and sarcasm is almost crushing - everywhere I look people are plotting or bitching and complaining. And since none of us know the outside lives of the others - we have nothing to talk about but this trip, which just means bitching and complaining! I think it will be really good that quite a few people take a break at Christmas. They are generally the most negative and pissed off ones so maybe they can cheer up away and maybe we'll cheer up with the lack of the negativity around. My fear (and one of the reasons I'm taking the chance and staying at the campsite) is that I think the people staying in town will just stay in a group together and be all negative and just bring themselves and eachother down even farther!

There better be a really nice bungalow waiting for me at the next campsite! All I want for Christmas this year is a warm shower and to be able to shit sitting on a toilet! Oh the luxuries of life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment