Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Trans - rebelling in Nouakachott

So - night 2 in Mauritania and we are really disobeying our leaders orders! Not only have we been told to go out in groups of 5 or more but we were told we have to stay with the group at night and not "upgrade" to hotels away from our compound. Well, the hotel that the truck went to was full last night - so Geoff, Eti and I took a walk to find somewhere else to stay. Thank goodness Geoff and Eti are here! It was one thing for me to be able to walk around alone in Morocco - that was pretty easy - but I can't in Mauritania, so its nice to have people on the truck that want to explore for more than 10 minutes!!

If Geoff and Eti weren't here I would be stuck sitting around the campfire every night getting drunk and then sitting around it most of the day because lots of the truck doesn't seem to care about seeing the cities or have been scared by our tour leader and are afraid to venture out. Anyways - so Geoff, Eti and I wandered all over the city last night trying to find a cheap place to stay. Most of the hotels are expensive (like £50+) because its like NGOs and aid workers that stay at them and they have big budgets. We were finally able to find a place that has space in a room for 3 and has a sit down toilet!! And its just around the corner from the campsite everyone else is at! Its very basic but I had a hot shower last night!! What more could a person want?!?

Nouakachott is an ok town so far. There is supposed to be a decent sized market - so we'll go there today and I'll continue my hunt for a long sleeve shirt - I might try to have someone make me one!! Ohh - Geoff and Eti just woke up. Apparently Geoff got eaten by mosquitos last night! And Eti has a few bites - I never even got one bite last night! I'll really have to hang out with them if the mozzies leave me alone and just eat them :P

I had crazy Larium (malaria meds) dreams last night! Hopefully I didn't shout out in my sleep last night! I kept dreaming people were coming into the room and that it was Al Quieda and they were coming to get us. It was rough...I woulld try to shout for Geoff (I'm sleeping by the door) but I wouldn't be able to talk and I would be holding the door closed...then I would wake up and think - oh I hope I didn't shout Geoff's name out loud in the night or Eti might get kind of mad and not let me stay with them anymore :P

Anyways - I've survived a night away our tour leader and all is well!!! Apparently there will be rooms at their hotel tonight so we'll go check them out - I'll stay in the tent with Jo if we got back there...ugh...

Oh-i just found all my mosquito bites...I apparently just didn't feel them :P they don't itch or anything but I have a lot of them! Good thing it isn't a malaria area yet!! I might have to reconsider buying the free standing mozzie net! especially for the malaria zone!! Ok - we are off to explore and see what's going on in Nouakachott!!

No comments:

Post a Comment