Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Trans - Marrakesh and warmth!!!

So far it seems promising for warmer weather as we drive towards Marrakesh! We have taken a gorgeous drive through the High Atlas Mountains - which isn't the fastest route to Marrakesh but is the
prettiest!! And we just stopped for lunch near the bottom \ end of the Mountains and it was warm enough for me to take-off not only my long-underwear but to put on my shorter trousers and put my sandals on!!!! Amazing!! Such a change from the -2 degrees when we woke up this morning!!! Brrrr!!!


We are staying "in" Marrakesh for 4 nights. "In" being the campground that's probably like 15km outside of town. I'll stay at the campsite tonight and head into town for the rest of the time! Jo and I (thank goodness Jo is my tentmate because I prolly would have gone insane by now if it was anyone else...well, Kaye is cool too...but me and Jo seem to be on the same page about our standards for accommodation and stuff) anyways - we are going to stay in an even slightly nicer place that normal while in Marrakesh. And we are going to hit the tourist Hammam for an unauthentic massage and maybe even a pedicure! Its well deserved after freezing our asses of for the last 2 weeks. Which saying that - this is the beginning of week 3 for the trip!! It feels like I've been doing this forever.

And to be honest most of the people are really nice - just one girl is really annoying - I almost got used to her until last night she complained for 10 minutes about how the dinner, which I spent 2 hours helping to prepare in 0 degree temperatures and a massively cold wind chill, was too spicy and she couldn't eat it! OMG!! Suck it up...or at least don't complain about it to the person that froze her ass off trying to cook a hot meal for 20 people!! And then...to top it off...I went to get my bag out of the overhead and she had put a glass bottle of grenadine up there. She has so much shit it doesn't fit in her locker so half of it is in the overhead. Only stuff we use during the day is supposed to be up there - and I don't think grenadine fits that category. Anyways - when I pulled my bag down her damn bottle of grenadine fell and smashed and spilled everywhere. Which she then bitched at me about!! Wtf?!? And apparently numerous people took that bottle down earlier and told her she couldn't keep it there. I didn't help clean it up-blah!! This trip might make me even more selfish than I already am!!!! :P anyways - she's now bitching at her "boyfriend". She and this Aussie guy (who's seems super nice and laid back) hooked up on day 2 and are living together now! LOL!! Anyways - she's bitching at him about how she wants to stay in hotels more and where they are going and staying and how they are going to travel the next 2 weeks!

So now that I've vented about that I have to remember not to share the link to my blog with her...or probably anyone on the trip because I have a feeling she's only the first one that's going to really annoy me!! Fingers crossed its all ok. Especially since its very likely I'll have to get off the truck for like 10 days or so to fly over Mauritania (ie. miss driving through the Sahara) because the embassy still hasn't issued visas for us Americans. As much as I would like to be able to say I've driven through the Sahara - right now I quite like the idea of flying directly to Senegal and spending 10 nights on the beach instead of in bush camps! They aren't allowed to stop anywhere or see anything in the drive through Mauritania...they will just drive like 8 hours a day and set up camp in the middle of nowhere...while that would be an interesting experience - I suppose relaxing on the beach would be ok too....

There's about a week left to get the Mauritania visas sorted - so we'll see what happens when we get back to Rabat! But for now its Marrakesh, the Essaouira (beach and seafood apparently) then Cassablanca and then Rabat. I guess there is wifi at the campsite so hopefully I'll be able to upload some pictures there!

1 comment:

  1. This is totally entertaining me! I'm glad you are able to share!

    ReplyDelete