Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Trans - Camping in December in the Mountains!! (Thursday Dec 1)

All I can say is WTF?!? What am I doing here?? In the Atlas Mountains camping in December! It was so bloody cold last night I barely slept! I didn't do a good job sorting out my blankets and sleeping bag so it was just a big tangled mess and I was too cold to sort it out! And on top of that I had a few drinks before bed so I had to get up to pee twice!!! Ahhhh!!! Miserable! The damn tent had ice on it this morning! Jo and I were too lazy to carry our tent down the hill with the others last night so we camped on the road. Good times...or something...

Anyways - on a positive note - its super pretty here. We are apparently somewhere between the High Atlas and the Middle Atlas. Or something. We pulled in after dark after a long day of driving. We got stuck at lunchtime and had a few trucks come round to pull us out. That was an adventure and took a good hour. Then we were driving through some little town and the police stopped us because the King was coming through so they were watching security! There were people everywhere and police. We were made to wait there for like half an hour but we didn't see the king - they had us move on before he came by...maybe next time :)

So those 2 stops basically held us up - so after dark we were searching for a place. We stopped for a loo break and some farmer came out and said we could camp on his land! So we set up! It was so cold!!! I can't wait until we are in Marrakesh and I can stay in a hotel again! I can't wait until it gets warm! Camping is only fun when its warm. Anyways - the farmer and his brother hung out with us and gave us some mint tea...they both spoke English, Spanish, French and German along with Arabic and Berber! That's quite impressive for anyone - let alone a farmer in a dirt village in Morocco. Apparently he took a bottle of someone's rum as payment for the campsite :P LOL! Glad I put my vodka away!!!

Ok-time for a nap - we have a 4 to 5 hour drive today so I'll catch up on all the sleep I didn't get last night because I was too busy freezing!

No comments:

Post a Comment