Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Trans - Rambling...


I wrote this out by hand ages ago...and am just now getting around to typing and posting it...I’ll try to edit out some of the boring and super non-relevant bits!

Well, it looks like my work trip to Brazil is cancelled (really – the trips just been postponed until November – but since I’ll be in Africa, for all intents and purposes it is cancelled for me!).  As much as I was really looking forward to going to Brazil and meeting up with awesome Maria who was going to fly down and join me from Mexico, I am relieved because the training sessions are a lot of work and it’s a really long flights for just a short (10 day) trip! 

So my next big trip is Africa!  I have derailed a bit on my planning for this!  I need to sort out quite a few things (vaccines, supplies, etc).  I am learning you can do a lot online – so maybe I’ll do that, but the nurse at the travel clinic (at my GP) was really helpful.  (PS. Since then I’ve gone to the London Travel Clinic on Oxford Street – amazing!!  That nurse was really excellent and we spent 45 minutes chatting about everything I could need to know about vaccines and just generally a lovely time – which you don’t usually say when you are getting stuck full of needles!)

I also just sent away for my new passport yesterday (again this was a while ago and yay...I already have my new passport back).  My old passport didn’t expire until next year, but I am pretty much out of blank pages and they suggest having like 10 – 12 pages!!  So I figured I might as well renew my passport early and have a new picture (ugh – finally rid of that horrible picture with my black hair – what was I thinking?!?!)
Now that I have my new passport – it’s time to apply for my Ghana visa!  Then I think the trip will feel more real...That and when I start packing, which I plan on doing tonight.  It’s a bit difficult since most of my stuff is in storage – so I need to go to the storage unit tonight and check things out and see what I have there and start organizing myself.  I am also off to the US right after Africa with a quick stop in the UK to change luggage – so I need to pack for that trip as well!! 

Ok – looks like the rest of what I wrote a few weeks ago is old news now and most of it didn’t happen.  It was a lot of complaining about not knowing if I was going to still have a job and having to cancel my weekend in France and all that stuff.  But I am trying to get over that now :P
So anyways – into the future!  I have 3 weeks left of work and then I am away for 3 months!!!  YAY!!  Here’s a link to my trip if anyone is interested: http://www.oasisoverland.co.uk/trips/Africa/details/68/Trans-Africa-9-Weeks-UK-to-Accra-.html

My goal in starting this blog is to keep it up during my African adventure (similar to what I did on the Camino earlier this year).  I have a feeling there will be less internet access throughout Africa than there was in Spain – so my entries might not be very regular.  But I’ll try to post whenever I can and include a few pictures once in the while!! 

I can’t wait until the end of work today!  I’m excited to see what I have in my storage unit and start thinking of what to pack.  Especially my new PINK sleeping bag!!  I’m so glad that I got a nice down one – and that it was half price and that its PINK!!  YAY!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment