Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Trans - First days...











So we've just spent 2 nights freezing in Spain in a campsite just outside of Gibralter! I knew it would be cold at night but I wasn't expecting this cold! But yesterday we went to the Carrefore (giant French store that sells everything) so I bought a bathrobe and some crocs with fleece lining!!! For those of you that followed my camino blog - here's my first shoe purchase for this trip :P

Ok....so Gibralter. We flew into the tiny airport and immediately crossed the border into Spain to a little campground. The truck is massive! Way bigger than I thought! I thought it would be like a big yellow school bus-bit its like a giant army truck...but yellow! There are 18 of us on the trip now. The bus has 24 seats - so we are pretty comfortable and have a bit of extra space. The luggage lockers are a bit smaller than expected, otherwise I just have a bit too much stuff :P

Gibralter is nothing to exciting. We went into town Monday morning...had a bit of lunch and then popped up the rock in a taxi tour. We went through the natural caves, saw the monkeys and then went through the military caves. Pretty cool. The monkeys are a bit crazy and since they are used to being fed they jump all over the taxi vans and even inside. I got lots of pictures of them though...there were some cute little baby ones.

Then we rushed back to the truck so we could go to Carrefour. Then Monday night I was on the first "cook group" so I helped make dinner with Geoff and Eti. It was a good time to do it because we had running water at the campground and our guide (who also happens to be American) did all the shopping. Otherwise the cook group is responsible for deciding the menu and doing the cooking. There is a €1 per person per day budget for food!!! OMG!!! I think that's a bit extreme, but we'll see!! They've loaded up on "Tesco Value" brand pasta and rice and beans and other canned goods so I guess we've got those to fall back on! Anyways - we made a mushroom risotto...not too bad! There was leftovers for breakfast too - which was good because the breakfast provided is pretty shit (tesco value museli is like eating raw oats! Blech)!! We learned how to take our tents down this morning too...its not too difficult of a process. I seem to have gotten a nice normal tent mate. She's Finnish (Jo). Some of the others seem a but crazy and we seemed to have the same thoughts about people the first bus ride - so I was happy when she asked to be my tent buddy! She's also done an Overland trip in Africa before - so at least I know she can handle it - even if I go crazy and decide I can't :P

I think that's all about it. And that takes us to the end of Monday (Day 2) and we are still in Europe (Spain)...I'll add the pictures and eventually I'll get some wifi access and upload this. We were told that there is a surprising amount of places with wifi in Morocco - so maybe I'll be able to update this blog more than I planned!

1 comment:

  1. buying shoes after only a couple of days?! he he That's hilarious

    ReplyDelete