Sunday, October 27, 2013

Nepal Hiking - Day 3: Poon Hill and beyond

So today I was up at about 4am for a cold dark walk up 509 meters to watch the sun rise on Poon Hill across the Himalayas!! Anthony decided he didn't care about sunrises so he slept in!!
Poon Hill was the highest point we went to on our trek. It was quite a touristic thing to do as there were hundreds of other people walking up the tail in the dark and milling about on the top of the hill.

The view as lovely, looking out at about 10 different Himalayan peaks and when the sun came up they started turning orange. It was worth it but only just barely as it was a tough trudge up and down before breakfast and before another 6 hours of hiking!!

The rest of this hike was mostly through the forest. Uphill and downhill. Steep and steep...We headed to Tadapani. I can't rally remember anything exciting. I don't seem to have taken a lot of pictures that day either...so was much the same I assume :-P. I'll get the pictures off of the people that had nice cameras and post those when I can!!
I think we had a pretty basic guest house again. No toilet in the room but there was a shared western toilet so that was nice!! Oh there were also beautiful views!! It's coming back to me now. One of the porters saved me twice today. Before lunch he came back to help us slower people and he carried my small back pack for like 20 minutes until our lunch break. Then for like the last hour of the hike I was watching for him!! I knew he would come back for me again! We had just gotten to the top of a hill bit and sat down when he and a couple of the other porters appeared. I jumped up and shouted. He was such a cutie. He didn't really speak English but he always smiled lots! So he came over and took my bag again. It was only about 15 minutes walk to the end, but it was all up a big mud hill so I was glad not to have my back pack too!! He was my favorite porter. He's the one with a little hat on if you see the pictures later!!  I couldn't understand his name but he was my favorite!!

And that's pretty much all I remember from day 3!!  It was another long day. The sunrise was lovely and there were great views along the whole way of beautiful white peaks!!  And waterfalls. There are so many waterfalls!!!
































No comments:

Post a Comment