Friday, October 25, 2013

Nepal Hiking - Day 1: Pokhara to Ulleri

Today was the first day hiking. We started with a lovely morning packing up in Pokhara. I've a picture from our hotel balcony (hopefully not upside down)..they look a bit wonky in my preview....Anyways after a breakfast (I didn't make it to 6:30am yoga) we got on an old rattley bus for about two hours to the start of the hike.


Today was the easiest day of walking apparently. It felt pretty good. I think if I didn't have walking sticks I would have been miserable but otherwise it was ok. The morning was gradual ascent mainly in a well traveled either stone or gravel road generally. So pretty easy going. We stopped for a snack after an hour then continued another hour until lunch at a small restaurant. We had Dahl baht...yummy. but so much rice. I should have taken a photo. And potatoes too!! I wasn't going to eat it all, but of course I did...and since the lady next to me had more potato I had some too. I regretted it after. That was too much for me to have and then hike again.

I was kinda miserable the next hour.  The path also got a bit steeper too, which makes sense since I am pretty sure I read that we were starting at 150m and finishing at 1500m. And since we hadn't done much in the morning we had a lot to do after. So we started going up quite a bit, but wouldn't have been bad if I wasn't stuffed with food. After an hour we had another break which was nice and all my food settled so after lunch was great.  Lots more ascent but we go at such an easy pace that's it's no problem. It's such a slow pace that I spend much of my time at the front of the group!!

We got to the tea house around 4:00. So all in all about 4 hours of walking. It was a warm sunny day, boiling hot actually. But it should start cooling off tomorrow as we will be going up another 1,000m.  We had some nice views it's all quite green and lush. Most of the trail was by a river so we had the sound of water. Really really nice. It's quite a busy walk..but our group is all really friendly and our guide is lovely. So far it's a great trip.

We changed clothes and got our rooms. Then Anthony and I filtered some water for tomorrow while everyone else showered (I'm too tough for a shower already, I had one this morning...jeez!!). Then we had a bit of music from some of the porters before another amazing dinner. I had noodles and spinach with garlic. Yummy!! Then some Tibetan bread, which is super sweet!!  Yum yum yum. I can eat lots at evening I've decided but tomorrow for lunch I'll just have to go light with one of my protein shakes (they are vegan so sticks with Nepalese culture, and gluten free so really good for me). I also bought some yak cheese this afternoon and brought chorizo from home if I need something with more substance :-)

Ok bedtime, we need to be up at 6:00am so we can start walking at 7:00!!! I never did this offline before but hopefully this saves and posts in a few days when we get Wi-Fi again.













No comments:

Post a Comment