Saturday, October 26, 2013

Nepal Hiking - Day 2: on to Ghorepani

So I'll start by saying that blogger has let me down. It only saved the first post that I wrote while hiking so I'll have to recreate the other two :-(  and because I have a poor memory I have probably forgotten everything...but at least I have pictures, although the app seems to not know how to post them right side up...lol

Anyways, the second day of hiking was another tough one. Again pretty much all uphill on stairs...wonderful uneven stone stairs. Up up up up up...I didn't think you could go up so high!! Lol. And we are doing one of the easy treks in Nepal!! Good thing I didn't sign up for Everest base camp or something silly like that!!

Today we also went through some forest. It's a rhodedendron forest, but it's not the season so there were no flowers...lol.

We went from about 1,600 meters to 2,700 meters, so quite a climb!!  The itinerary says 5-6 hours walking but really it took 8-10. It was 10 hours in total including breaks. That's a long damn day of climbing stairs. I don't think I got a proper picture of the stairs either...so I can't fully show you what these stairs were like but not one of them is the same height and lots are covered in water and maybe a bit of donkey poo just to add to the fun. Because donkeys trains go up and down the mountains. No cars can get up so besides people carrying stuff on their back the only other way to bring supplies up is the old fashioned way, via donkey. Luckily they wear bells so you can hear them coming and make sure you are at a slightly wider place and against the wall so they can go by and not push you off the cliff!!  Yaks go by sometimes too...interesting times.

Anyways, so after 10 grueling hours we made it to  Ghorepani and another simple guest house. This one had ensuite bathrooms with western toilets. Very basic and simple but I think I had a luke warm shower that trickled out enough to rinse myself off before bed!! And sitting down to poo is always a bonus!!

The following are the pictures from today!! Tomorrow we wake up at 4am to hike up Poon Hill to watch the sunrise and see the mountain peaks!!!

















































No comments:

Post a Comment