Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Trans - Ghana soon...only 9 days left

Well, we'll be in Ghana this afternoon!  That really makes it feel like this trip is ending soon - thank God!!

Over the past week while I was off the truck and having fun - i forgot how miserable it was to be on the truck.  Especially in the morning!  We had a really fun night last night.
It was Kaye's birthday so we celebrated - although most of us were in bed by 10:30, which means the celebrations may have started a bit early!  But it was nice to see everyone again.  They seemed in good spirits.  Apparently they didn't hate spending 10 days in Bamako because they were able to go clubbing a few ties.  Oh, and they got to stop and see hippos and crocodiles when they drove into Burkina.  I guess its the little things that keep people happy.

But OMG - I still can't stand the tour leader.  It might be even worse now!  But its really funny because she must be tired of having losers as her friends because she has attached herself to Kaye now - she was all over her yesterday and last night.  She bought her presents and complimented her and gave Kaye her "good wine"  The leader might be a bitch but she isn't stupid.  she knows Kaye is an important person to have her team if she wants to survive this trip around Africa!!  But sadly for me - that means I'll spend less time hanging out with Kaye and Kris because I can't stand being near the lazy cow!   It was a real struggle yesterday to enjoy my drink after my amazing pizza lunch because Kris came to join us and the leader followed along.  UGH!  And then waking up this morning and going to the breakfast area - it was almost painful for me to look at her.  I don't remember the last time I despised someone so much.  And it makes me even more angry at myself for letting it bother me.  Grrrr....but she's so mean - especially to people she doesn't like.  Last night she didn't want the cook group to use any wood.  I think it was because it was toni cooking and she doesn't like Toni...so she just told her she could only use whatever scraps of wood she could find laying around.  The driver told Toni where the wood was on the truck and the leader was like "No, she doesn't need any" Finally, the driver went and got the wood and put it on the fire for them.  I mean seriously - wtf??!!  Its a couple pieces of wood to cook all of our diners for us!  I'm sure if it was someone she liked cooking, they would have been allowed to use the truck wood.

Anyways - enough complaining.  I'll be happy about leaving Burkina Faso today!  Although we haven't spent much time here or explored much, I must say I don't like this country or the people - so I"m happy to leave and head to Ghana.  I don't know much about Ghana, but I've been looking forward to it for the whole trip.  And also - they speak English there - so that will be a nice change.  To actually understand what people are saying instead of trying to muddle through in my pathetic French!!  And the weather will get even warmer and more tropical and we'll have beaches soon!!  Yay!  It should be a good way to end the trip.  I'm really really ready for this trip to be finished.  I've had lots of fun and seen some cool stuff - but most of that fun and cool stuff has occurred when I wasn't with the group - so the Trans has actually been a huge waste of time and money.  Which is a shame because it has potential to be really good.  But this isn't my kind of this and for anyone that actually wants to experience local culture, an overland truck probably won't be their thing either.

Oh - another happy thought though - at least the truck is  reasonably comfortable way to travel.  Today we are on a smooth paved road and we have heaps of space to sit and relax.  After the bus ride from Mali to Burkina, this is a luxury.

1 comment:

  1. Just crossed my mind, never thought about it before but on my first trip with Nancy she never spent any time with us at all. She was joined by her hip with the driver. That´s probably one more reason she hated me as I took him awat from her.. And now when Steve doesn´t like her...poor Nancy ;)

    Jo

    ReplyDelete